Research Analyst/Senior Research Analyst
The Institute for Higher Education Policy (IHEP) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization committed to promoting access to and success in higher education for all students, with a special focus on underserved populations. Based in Washington, D.C., IHEP develops innovative policy- and practice-oriented research to guide policymakers and education leaders in developing high-impact policies that will address our nation’s most pressing education challenges.
We are considering candidates for either an analyst or senior analyst level position based on their education and background experience. Both positions will conduct research and design learning experiences that further the practical application of promising practices that drive postsecondary attainment, particularly for underserved student populations. This position will also focus heavily on postsecondary opportunities for incarcerated and formerly incarcerated individuals. The senior analyst will be expected to play a larger role in conceptualizing ideas and leading projects with less oversight as further described below.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative policy research and analysis of federal, state and institutional level policy barriers for expanding postsecondary access and success for underserved students, with a special emphasis on incarcerated and formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Track developments in postsecondary education issues in the media, legislative and regulatory activity, and research and respond to time-sensitive requests from media and policymakers.
- Write reports, briefs, concept papers, PowerPoint presentations, memos, and other content to disseminate research and analysis to key policy- and practice-audiences.
- Design learning experiences for stakeholders from higher education institutions, K-12 school districts, community-based organizations, business leaders, local elected officials and state agencies around postsecondary completion efforts.
- Maintain IHEP’s relationships with partnering organizations, funders, and others.
- Engage in effective project management, which includes responsibility for content and logistic development, management of timeline and activities, communications with project participants, and budget oversight.
- Collaborate with and provides assistance to other departments and staff as required.
- Other duties, as requested.
Depending on level of research and project management experience, candidates may qualify for a Senior Research Analyst position, with additional responsibilities:
- Supervise projects and/or staff with minimal oversight.
- Assist with the development and preparation of grant proposals and reports.
- Conceptualize ideas, lead projects, and inform the strategic direction of the Applied Research Team.
QUALIFICATIONS: We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experiences:
- This position requires a master’s or doctoral degree, and at least 3 or more years of experience in a policy, research environment to qualify for the senior research position.
- Knowledge of and experience with programs or practices focused on college readiness, postsecondary student supports, and workforce development for underserved students.
- Strong background or desire to develop deep expertise in expanding postsecondary access, success and re-entry outcomes for incarcerated/formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Experience engaging stakeholders from higher education institutions, K-12 school districts, community-based organizations, business leaders, and local elected officials around metro-level college completion efforts preferred.
- Must demonstrate ability to work independently and manage multiple projects as well as strong interpersonal skills to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow through and push projects to completion.
- Success leading/championing projects with the ability to remain flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Strong analytical, critical and strategic thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This position is based in Washington, D.C., and will include some travel. IHEP offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and short writing sample (no more than five pages) and apply through this website.